When Housing Benefit can be paid to other people

Housing Benefit may be paid every four weeks to your landlord, your landlord’s agent or someone who looks after your money or who has power of attorney over your affairs if:

  1. We think you are unable to handle your own affairs
  2. We think you are unlikely to pay your rent
  3. You are more than eight weeks in arrears.

Some specific types of Housing Benefit claim are also exempt from the rules, which means the money can be paid to your landlord or your landlord’s agent. These include:

  1. Claims made before 7th April 2008
  2. Claims by tenants of Registered Social Landlords or Registered Housing Associations
  3. Claims on tenancies which started before 15 January 1989
  4. Claims on supported housing where the landlord is a registered social landlord, charity, or not-for-profit voluntary organisation that provides the tenant with care, support, or supervision
  5. Claims for hostel dwellers
  6. Claims for tenancies where we decide that a substantial part of the rent is for board and attendance