Who is disregarded from Council Tax

These are the people that are disregarded for the purpose of calculating Council Tax discounts. In some cases you may need to fill in an additional form to apply to have someone disregarded. Please remember you must always pay your Council Tax as shown on your bill until you have been formally notified of any changes.

  1. Under 18s or where child benefit is still in payment
  2. 18 and 19 year old who are at or have just left school
  3. Full time students and their non-British spouses/dependants including student nurses, apprentices and people on youth training schemes.
  4. People who are severely mentally impaired and who are entitled to Incapacity Benefit, Attendance Allowance, Severe Disablement Allowance, higher or middle rate care component of a Disability Living Allowance, increased rate Disablement Pension where constant attendance is needed, Constant Attendance Allowance, Disability Working Allowance, Un-employability Allowance or Supplement, Disability Premium included with Income Support, or Disability Premium included with Job Seekers Allowance income based where a partner is claiming.
  5. Care workers including people that care for at least 24 hours a week for no more than £44 and who live in working premises provided by the employer (which must be a charity or public authority), and people that care for at least 35 hours a week for someone that lives in the same address who is entitled to higher rate/increased constant Attendance Allowance, highest rate Disability Living Allowance, or increased Disablement Pension, and who is not a spouse, partner, or child under 18.
  6. People in certain hostels or night shelters
  7. Prisoners, people on remand, or other detainees except those charged of or convicted for non-payment of Council Tax or fines.
  8. People who are being looked after in care homes
  9. People who are resident in hospital or in hospital for more than six weeks
  10. People actually or normally resident elsewhere due to things such as work (not a second home)
  11. Diplomats and members of visiting forces or international bodies with headquarters in the UK
  12. Members of religious communities such as monks and nuns.