Check if you need planning permission

We can help you to check if your proposed development needs planning permission. This pre-application advice service is free except for new dwellings, including conversions to dwellings.

In general, you usually have legal rights to carry out certain small scale development without the need to apply for planning permission. These are called 'permitted development' rights. These rights are subject to conditions and limitations, and successfully understanding the situation often requires the input of a professional planning officer.

Pre-application advice fees

Here are the fees for advice from our planning experts on your proposed development before you apply for planning permission.  The fees are inclusive of VAT.

These fees only apply for new dwellings including conversions to dwellings.  You can get free advice on domestic extensions at our householder planning service held at Parkside on Tuesdays between 10.00am until 1.00pm.


Fee includes up to 3 meetings

Additional mtg fee

Householder Planning Service



1-4 dwellings



5-9 dwellings



10-49 dwellings



50-199 dwellings



200+ dwellings



Please note the Council will only issue a VAT invoice if requested.

In addition to our charges, Worcestershire County Council Highways also have a separate fee charge criteria for pre-application advice. Their contact is Karen Hanchett on 01905 765765 or 763673 or:

A note on solid wall insulation

Solid wall insulation on its own does not usually need planning permission if:

  1. It is finished to match the look of the existing house and
  2. The property does not have reduced permitted development rights, such as in conservation areas or on listed buildings.

If you are in any doubt, always check with us first.

Get advice

You can telephone and speak to an Officer or email us details of your proposals by using our contact details

Alternatively, you can come to our free drop-in Householder Planning Service at Parkside, Market Street, Bromsgrove, B61 8DA on Tuesdays 10am - 1pm. You do not need an appointment.

For new dwellings and conversions to dwelling

Please contact us here. You will need to complete and return this downloadable request form and pay the relevant pre-application fee.

Pay for your advice

  1. Via BACS electronic transfer. Use sort code 401507 and account number 91131605 and quote Fund 37 as the reference.  It is important that you telephone the planning team on 01527 881770 to confirm the transaction
  2. With a cheque with the first line of the site address on the reverse and a covering letter to this address
  3. Over the telephone. If no-one is available when you call, please leave a message and we'll call you back.

More advice and help

Here is a wealth of first class advice on a range of small scale projects on the Planning Portal for homes and businesses from the national planning advice website.