You are here: Home Page > Environment and Planning > Building Control > About Building Control > What are Building Regulations?

Construction_VehicleWhat are the building regulations and when do they apply?

What are the Building Regulations?

The Secretary of State has powers conferred on him to make regulations, whereby the health and safety of persons in or about buildings is safeguarded. Building Regulations achieve this by setting minimum requirements contained within a series of Approved Documents A to P, which cover the following matters:

A) Structure
B) Fire
C) Site preparation and resistance to moisture
D) Toxic substances
E) Sound insulation
F) Ventilation
G) Hygiene
H) Drainage and waste disposal
J) Heat producing appliances
K) Stairways ramps and guards
L) Conservation of fuel and power
M) Facilities for disabled
N) Glazing
P) Electrical Safety

right arrow greenClick here for the Approved Documents list on the Planning Portal Internet Link

When do Building Regulations apply?

Most new building work must meet the minimum standards of the Building Regulations.

If you are thinking of undertaking major building work you may very likely need Building Regulations approval. If you are extending or altering your house, you will also need approval although some work may be exempt.

Building Regulation approval is required if you want to:-

  • Build a new dwelling, factory, shop, offices etc.
  • Change the use of a building, which is not a dwelling to a dwelling.
  • Extend your home by constructing an extension
  • Internally alter your home by removal of load bearing walls, or provide a bathroom, shower, and toilet or alter the drainage.
  • Convert the loft
  • Put in cavity wall insulation
  • Provide new chimneys, fireplaces or flues
  • Convert garage to a habitable room
  • Underpin foundations
  • Replace an existing building with an identical one, even in the same position.
  • Boilers & Heating Systems
  • Provide new window openings in the existing walls or roof and the replacement of existing windows
  • New/alterations to electrical systems


Page Information
This page was last reviewed 21 August 2014 at 11:07 by Web Team.
The page is next due for review 17 February 2015.
Map of Worcestershire Bromsgrove District Council Malvern District Council Redditch Borough Council Worcester City Council Wychavon District Council Wyre Forest District Council
The county of Worcestershire includes the districts of:

Google Translate
Bromsgrove District Council, The Council House, Burcot Lane, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, B60 1AA - Directions to Council Offices