Electoral register

You can get on the electoral register (sometimes called the electoral roll), or update your name or address details, here.

There are two versions of the electoral register:

  1. The full register that's used for electoral purposes such as making sure only eligible people can vote, and for other limited purposes specified in law, such as detecting crime, calling people for jury service and checking credit applications
  2. The open register (sometimes called the edited register) that’s available to anyone who wants to buy a copy. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.

You can choose to opt out of the open register. Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.

You must be on the electoral register to be able to vote, and if you are not on it you may have difficulty getting certain types of credit such as mobile phone contracts.

Get on the electoral register

Register or change your details here.

Opt out of the open register

Opt out of the open register here.