Application route 2. Building notice applications for minor works to dwellings
Generally suitable for minor domestic applications, i.e garage conversions, internal alterations or small extensions etc. - a Building Notice application is a fast track process with minimal delays to your work.
We advise that you speak to us for pre-application advice before you apply.
Things to consider
- Commercial works require a Full Plans application. They cannot be done under a Building Notice.
- You can still apply using a Full Plans application for domestic works particularly if you already have working drawings prepared.
- A Building Notice does not provide the same level of protection you may receive with a Full Plans application because builders will not have approved, detailed plans to follow
- Not recommended for loft conversions. Structural details, calculations and means of escape layouts for loft conversions may be complex. We strongly advise Full Plans applications for loft conversions
- Applications can be submitted in a way to suit you. Hard copy in the post, emailed documents or using our online submission portal Submit-a-Plan. Fees are paid via an email link we issue once the application is received.
- We do not normally return hard copy plans. If you require a set returned please let us know.
- We may ask for more information from you as work proceeds.
An Building Notice is submitted to us using the form or online portal shown this page. The form can be emailed firstname.lastname@example.org. The property owner can do this themselves or use an agent such as an Architect or surveyor etc
- Only the form needs to be submitted. We do not need any building plans.
- How to pay the fee is shown on the last page of the form.
- We check the application and if the Notice is correct we will formally register the application and confirm this to the person who made the submission.
- We will issue an ‘acceptance letter’ to the person who submitted the application confirming receipt of the Notice. This letter will also tell you what we need to see on site and how to let us know you are starting work. This acceptance is valid for 3 years.
- We then wait to be notified of works commencing and following that visit site at various stages. As no plans are checked prior to the works we may need further information from you during the course of the project.
- We will discuss this with you if this need arises. If all works are satisfactory completed we will then issue a Completion Certificate to the property owner. There is no timescale during which the project has to be completed but the work should not be occupied before a completion certificate is issued.
Make an application
You'll need to complete and return the below application form and pay the relevant fee.
You can apply online using submit-a-plan.com here. Ensure we receive it, including a site plan and payment at least 48 hours before work is due to start on site.
North Worcestershire Building Control Application Form
After you've applied there are four stages: