Submit a Planning Application
There are a number of ways to submit a planning application. Online submissions can be made via The Planning Portal and iApply. This method has several advantages in that we receive your application instantly, you can begin to check progress on it sooner and you do not have to print and copy the various forms and plans. If you apply through The Planning Portal you can also pay the application fee online.
For more details, visit The Planning Portal website. The Planning Portal Support Team can be contacted on 0333 3234589. For iApply, here is their website, or you can contact the service desk on 08447 254 333. Please note that iApply will cease trading on 31 October 2019.
Please be aware these services may charge an administration fee in addition to the planning application fee. However, all fee exempt applications and all applications where the fee is less than £60 will not incur a service charge for submission through the Planning Portal.
In order to avoid delay in the registration process, you are encouraged to clearly and correctly label plans accompanying your on-line application. The preferred description format is Plan Title, followed by the Plan Reference Number (for example, Front Elevation P-001).
You can also download paper forms from The Planning Portal page here and submit your application directly to the Council in hard copy form or via our email address can be found here. There is no charge for submitting an application this way.
Please note: Bromsgrove District Council has not adopted a Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) so there is no need to complete this section on your application form.
Make sure it is 'valid'
If an application has everything it needs, it is called a valid application. We have to send invalid applications back to be completed, which causes costs and delays. Around half of all applications we receive are invalid! If you need any help or advice on this please contact us beforehand.
As a general guide, a standard planning application requires all of the following to be valid:
- Payment of fees
- Your application form, your design and access statement if applicable, your block plan, your plans and elevations for both existing and proposed work, your location plan to scale at either 1:1250 or 1:2500 (including: a North Point; at least one and preferably two road names; at least three properties identified by name or number; minimum A4 sized). If you are submitting a paper application, you will need to submit two copies of everything.
What we must consider for each application
To ensure that local development is directed in the public interest, we consider:
- Local planning policies
- The individual merits of the proposed development
- The context of the development site and its surroundings
- National planning policies including government guidance.
We must determine all planning applications in accordance with local and national policy, unless material considerations indicate otherwise.
Calculate Your Planning Fee
Fees for planning are set nationally.
Use this calculator to work out how much your fee will be via the Planning Portal Fee Calculator.
Here are the national regulations from legislation.gov.uk.
Pay Your Planning Fee
The Planning Portal will automatically process all payments for planning applications made online. This means that you will be able to pay for your online application via The Planning Portal using a standardised set of payment options:
- Secure online payment by credit or debit card (for payments up to £1,000)
- Payment by telephone (for payments up to £1,000)
- Payment by bank transfer
- Payment by cheque
- Nominating somebody else to pay online
For non-Planning Portal application submissions, you have the following options:
1. Via BACS electronic transfer. Use sort code 401507 and account number 91131605 and quote Fund 35 and the planning reference number.
It is important that you telephone the planning team on 01527 881770 to confirm the transaction.
2. With a cheque for the correct amount with the first line of the site address on the reverse and a covering letter to this address
3. Over the telephone with us here. If an Officer is not available when you call, please leave a message and we will call you back.