Skip to main content

Work in Conservation areas

If you want to develop land or buildings in a conservation area normal 'permitted development' rights may not apply, and you may need planning permission for things that you wouldn't need permission for elsewhere.

When assessing applications for works in conservation areas, we must pay special regard to the desirability of preserving or enhancing the character or appearance of the area. We will not necessarily oppose new development, but it should not harm the interest of the wider conservation area.

There is a general presumption against the loss of buildings which make a positive contribution to the character or appearance of a conservation area.

Restrictions on permitted development

In conservation areas some permitted development rights (works which normally don't require Planning Permission) are restricted, including the erection of dormer windows, satellite dishes and replacement signage.

Extra controls are also placed over trees, meaning that owners must submit a formal notification of works to us six weeks before starting work.

Some common works in conservation areas that need consent

  1. Any work on trees
  2. The substantial or total demolition of any building over 115 m3 in size
  3. The demolition of any boundary wall over 1m in height next to the highway or 2m elsewhere
  4. The removal of any agricultural building constructed before 1914.

Our conservation areas

There are twelve conservation areas in total in our district. They evolve and change over time - find out more here.

Planning permissions

For information about planning permissions, pre-application advice and submission of a planning applications please go to our planning permissions section here.

Contact us

If you need to discuss work in conservation areas, please contact our planning team

Feedback & Share