Change in circumstances

Warning Sign Tiny Please only report changes and send evidence to us if you already claim housing benefit and/or council tax support.

Warning Sign Tiny If your finances have been affected by the Covid 19 pandemic and you need to complete a new application for council tax support please apply here.

If you claim benefits and your circumstances change you need to tell us as soon as possible.

Telling us about changes as soon as they happen means your claim will be updated and you will receive the correct amount of benefit.
It is important you tell us about any changes as soon as possible, at least within one calendar month of when the change happened. If you do not tell us about any changes the amount of benefit you receive could be too much or not enough.

If you delay in reporting changes to us, you could be paid too much benefit. This is known as an overpayment and you will need to pay back the amount you were not entitled to. It may also mean you are underpaid what you are entitled to and not get all the help available to you.

Claiming benefits that you are not entitled to is illegal. It's important that you make sure we're aware of any changes in your circumstances that could affect your claim. If the change means your Council Tax Support is reduced, your bill is simply adjusted according to your new level of support and any extra charge is added to your overall bill.

Report a change in circumstances

Warning Sign Tiny Due to the Covid 19 pandemic you cannot provide supporting evidence in person at our Parkside customer centre. In this unprecedented time we will accept photographs as proof of any supporting evidence for your change.

Photographs of evidence can be taken using a smartphone. Take a clear photograph of your evidence and upload the photo at our evidence upload page.

If you have access to a scanner, you can scan the evidence and upload your scanned documents to our evidence upload page. 

Back to the top of the page

Change in circumstances for benefits - examples

Here are some examples of change of circumstances that you must tell us about.

If you or your partner are getting Pension Credit please also see further down this page for more information.

  • You start to get any other type of State Benefit
  • You stop getting any other type of State Benefit
  • If your wages go up or down
  • If your capital, any savings and/or investments go up or down.
  • Any of your children leave school and move onto higher education or apprenticeships.
  • Moving home (this includes if you move to another flat or room at the same address)
  • Birth of a child
  • You or a member of your family go into hospital
  • Going into a rest home
  • Other people, including a partner coming to live with you.

Back to the top of the page

Change in circumstances - Pension Credit

If you or your partner are getting Pension Credit you must tell the Pension Service of any changes and they will tell you how the change will affect you.

If the change is something which was not included in your Pension Credit calculation, you must tell us so we can update your claims for housing benefit and/or council tax support.

You will need to tell us about the following changes if they happen:

  • If there are changes in your tenancy
  • If you move home
  • Non-dependants and who are living with you
  • Dependant children
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Capital, savings and or investments of more than £16,000 if you are getting Savings Credit only
  • Income and capital of partner which has not been included in the Pension Credit claim
  • Going into hospital
  • Going into a rest home
  • Absence from home of more than 13 weeks

Back to the top of the page


If you have been overpaid Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, we will write and tell you:

  • that there is an overpayment and the reason
  • the amount of the overpayment
  • how we worked out the overpayment
  • Who the overpayment is recoverable from and at what rate

If you are still receiving Housing Benefit we will make a deduction from your ongoing weekly payments and this will be explained in your overpayment letter.

Back to the top of the page