Skip to content

Test and Trace Support Payment and Discretionary Payment FAQs.

Another individual can apply on behalf of the intended recipient; however, the £500 should be paid into a bank account in the name of the person for whom the application is being made. For example, if a son applied on behalf of their mother, the payment would be made into the mother’s bank account.

As of 16 August 2021, people under 18 are no longer required to self-isolate if identified as a contact by NHS Test and Trace – unless they have been explicitly told to by a local public health official because of an outbreak. This means that, in most instances, their parent/guardian will no longer need to care for them, as they can continue to leave home to attend school, college etc.
If an outbreak at an education and childcare setting is identified, local public health teams can take additional measures to reduce transmission, which includes asking classes to self-isolate.
In this instance, parents or guardians may have to care for their child at home, and so they may still be eligible for TTSP.
Some people aged 18-25 with EHC Plan (EHC) will still be required to self-isolate if they are not fully vaccinated.
Their parents/guardians may retain eligibility for TTSP if they still need to take time off work to care for them while they self-isolate.

An education or childcare setting is somewhere that is registered with your local authority where the child would spend most of the weekday during term-time. Schools, nurseries and care settings for 16-25 year-olds with additional support needs are included.
Things that are NOT covered include unregistered childcare providers, informal childcare arrangements, home-schooling and after-school/weekend/holiday activities (e.g. Scouts/Guides, sports clubs, summer camps).

'Unable to work from home’ means that you have a job that cannot be carried out from home and therefore cannot work from home while self-isolating or looking after a child required to self isolate.

As of 16 August 2021, fully vaccinated adults are no longer required to self-isolate if identified as a contact by NHS Test and Trace. This means they are no longer eligible for the Test and Trace Support Payment scheme.
Fully vaccinated adults who test positive are still required to self-isolate. They are still eligible for the Test and Trace Support Payment scheme.

If you meet criteria 1-4 of the main scheme but not 5, you can apply for our discretionary scheme if you meet the following criteria

  • you work over 16 hours a week and
  • you earn less than £500 a week OR less than £26,000 a year before tax and other deductions and
  • you have less than £6000 in savings and
  • we have to be satisfied that you will experience financial hardship as a result of having to isolate

If you do not have a NHS Test and Trace 8 character reference code as proof of notification that you need to self-isolate you will not be eligible to claim a discretionary support payment.

The Test and Trace Payment is taxable if you are a taxpayer but it is not subject to National Insurance Contributions. HMRC will automatically collect tax from your pay through your tax code, or self-employed recipients should report the payment on their 20/21 Self-Assessment tax return.

The payment will be a coronavirus support payment and therefore a revenue receipt of your business, contributing towards your profits. The payment will need to be included on your Self Assessment Tax Return along with any other coronavirus support payments you may have received.

There is nothing you need to do. If your income for the year is not more than £12,500, you will not have any tax to pay. If tax is due, HMRC will automatically recover it from your pay through a change in your tax code. HMRC will send you a new tax code notice.

Claimants can claim Statutory Sick Pay as well as a Test and Trace Support Payment, but not contractual sick pay from their employer. Employers can claim Statutory Sick Pay Reimbursement for those self-isolating.

No, the payment does not affect existing entitlements to Universal Credit, Pension Credit, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Pension Credit, Housing Benefit. The payment will also be disregarded as income for the purposes of tax credits.

The law provides that a person needs a minimum amount of money to live on. If you are eligible for a support payment and you are overdrawn you can contact your bank to exercise your "First Right of Appropriation".
This allows you to instruct your bank to use your £500 support payment to pay priority bills and outgoings and stop the payment being used to pay your overdraft.
You must contact your bank to make this arrangement before you receive your Test and Trace Support Payment.

Following an announcement from the government Tuesday 14th September 2021, the Test and Trace Support Payment Scheme has been extended and will now be in place until Thursday 31stMarch 2022