What is Universal Credit?

Warning Sign Citizens Advice have issued a Scam Awareness warning

Citizens Advice have issued a Scam Awareness warning. Scammers are offering 'interest-free loans' or 'government grants' in return for proof of identity, bank account details and a fixed fee.

You can find out more here

Universal Credit is a new working age benefit introduced by the Government to help with your living costs.

Universal Credit replaces six existing benefits:

  • Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support

It is available to those who are of working age on low income, not working due to illness, disability or have caring commitments.

If the above does not apply to you, you may be eligible to claim Housing Benefit.

As of February 1 2019, the number of children you have does not affect your eligibility for Universal Credit, but it may affect how much you get.

Severe disability premium

Please note from the 16 January 2019, if you are eligible or in receipt of severe disability premium you can no longer claim Universal Credit, therefore you may be eligible to claim Housing Benefit

Mixed age couples

From 15 May 2019, mixed age couples (where one party of the couple is over Pension Credit qualifying age and the other under that age) will no longer be able to choose whether they claim Universal Credit or Pension Credit or pension age Housing Benefit.

More can be found on the GOV.UK site here