Skip to content

Do I apply for Universal Credit or Housing Benefit?

If you are in supported or temporary accommodation, claim severe disability premium (SDP) or are of pensionable age, you will need to apply for Housing Benefit, otherwise, you will need to apply for Universal Credit. You can check if you are eligible here

How do I apply and what will I need to make a claim for Universal Credit?

To apply you will need:

  • An active email address
  • A mobile phone number
  • Details of your bank account, building society or credit union account
  • Your rent or mortgage costs
  • Your wage details
  • Details of any savings or investments
  • Your National Insurance Number
  • Details of any children and/or your partner
  • Details of how much you pay for childcare (if applying for help with childcare costs)

You also have to verify your identity. Ask at your local Jobcentre for details.

To Claim

Claims can only be made online through the official Universal Credit website here. If you and your partner live together then you will need to apply as a couple.

You can also find more information on the Universal Credit in action you tube channel.

What if I or a family member do not have access to the internet?

If you are unable to access the internet at home then please speak to a member of our customer services team to find out where free online access is available in your area.