Caravan and Mobile Homes
Once a site has planning permission, you will need to apply for a licence to run a caravan/mobile home site.
A licence is needed to ensure standards are maintained on the site and health and safety legislation are met.
Once a licence is issued, we will carry out regular site inspections to check compliance with the licence conditions.
Please note: A licence will not be issued if:
- The land does not have planning permission to be used as a caravan site
- An applicant has had a site licence revoked within the last 3 years
Caravan law is covered by the following Acts of Parliament
- Caravan Sites and Control Development Act 1960 - covers the licensing of caravan sites and the safety, welfare and management conditions required by law.
- The Caravan Sites Act 1968 - covers protection from eviction from residential sites and guidance on caravan size.
- Mobile Homes Act 1983 - covers civil law between the site owners and residents on protected sites. A protected site has planning permission for permanent residential use and had been issued a site licence.
The first two Acts are enforced by the council. The Mobile Homes Act may involve County Court action by residents or the site owners to resolve disputes.
- The first two Acts are enforced by the council. The Mobile Homes Act may involve County Court action by residents or the site owners to resolve disputes.
There are 25 sites licenced for residential use in the district.
You are protected from illegal eviction and harassment by laws that we can and will enforce.
For information about your rights and what to do if you are the subject of illegal eviction or harassment please go to our Residents Rights page
Licence Fees and Charges 2023/2024
|Fee for 2023/2024
|Mobile Park Home Licencing
|Licence Amendment Application Fee
|Licence Transfer Application Fee
|Mobile Home Park Annual Inspection Charge
|Band A (2-10 units)
|Band B (11-30 units)
|Band C (31-70 units)
|Band D (71+ units)
|Mobile Home Park Statutory Registration or amendment of Park Home Rules
|Mobile Home Park Statutory Registration
|Amendment of Park Home Rules
How to apply for a site licence
To apply for a site licence complete our online site licence application form here.
Please note, in most cases, planning permission must be obtained before a licence can be issued.
Park Homes GOV.UK - Information for park home residents in England on their rights and obligations under the Mobile Homes Act 1983.
Park Homes Factsheet Age UK (February 2023) - Information about the law relating to park homes (also called mobile homes or caravans).