Council Tax Support or Second Adult Rebate

Warning Sign Tiny Please be advised that this year if you are in receipt of Council Tax Support (Council Tax Benefit) we are not issuing 'year end' letters for it this year, to save money by reducing waste and duplication.

Warning Sign Tiny We are currently experiencing a high workload that's impacting on the time it's taking to process benefits.

To make an application for Council Tax Support or Second Adult Rebate you will need to fill in a form and provide evidence to prove your circumstances.

We can’t pay any money until you have done this, so the quicker you give us your evidence the sooner you will get your payments.

We will write to you and tell you whether you qualify, how much support you will receive, and the date your support will start from.

You cannot claim Council Tax Support if you have capital over £16,000, unless you or your partner are in receipt of Guaranteed Pension Credit.

Second Adult Rebate

If you don’t live with a partner but you do share your home with someone who is:

  1. Over 18 and
  2. On a low income and
  3. Not a partner or a paying lodger and
  4. Not already exempt from Council Tax.

Then if you are not of working age you may be able to get support to pay your Council Tax. See below for more details on who is and is not a 'second adult'.

When working out whether you should get Second Adult Rebate, your own income and other circumstances (including capital) are not relevant. It is based wholly on the income and other circumstances of the second adult, or more if there is more than one extra adult.


Make your benefit claim online here. If you cannot complete this form online, please contact us.

Policy document

Here is our full Council Tax reduction scheme policy.

Contact us

Contact us here.