Skip to content

Self employment and Universal Credit

If you are self employed and claim Universal Credit, it is important to remember your income will be assessed monthly to calculate your Universal Credit payment. This means at the end of each month you will need to report:

  • Your earnings from self employment, even if you have none
  • Any money paid into a pension
  • Payments into and out of your business

If you do not report your income and expenses at the end of each monthly assessment period, your Universal Credit award for that month will be assessed on the assumption you are working full time.

For more information on claiming Universal Credit while you are self employed please see the guidance provided by GOV.UK

MoneyHelper also has a useful guide if you claim Universal Credit and are self employed