Voting in Person
It's simple to vote in person, which is when you go to a polling station and vote on election day.
To be able to vote you must be registered. If you are not already registered, you can register to vote at any time. Registering puts you on the 'register of electors', which is the list of everyone who is registered to vote.
If you are registered you will be sent a card called a poll card just before an election. Your poll card tells you where and when to vote. You will always be sent a poll card no matter how you choose to vote. Your poll card is for your information and you don't actually need it to be able to cast your vote.
Voting: a step by step guide
- On election day, go to your polling station. The polling station is often a school or local hall near where you live. 'Polling' is another word for voting. Tell the staff inside the polling station your name and address so they can check that you're on the register. You can show them your poll card, but you do not need it to vote
- The staff at the polling station will give you a list of the people or parties you can vote for. This is called a ballot paper. You may be given more than one ballot paper if there is more than one election on the same day
- Go into a polling booth so that no one can see how you vote
- Your Ballot Paper will instruct you on how to cast your vote. Do not vote for more than the number of candidates as instructed or write anything else on the ballot paper as your vote may not be counted if you do
- Fold the ballot paper in half and put it in the ballot box. If you are not clear what to do, ask the staff at the polling station to help you. Do not let anyone see your vote
- When the voting is over the votes are counted. The winner or winners are the people with most votes. These people are responsible for representing you. You can ask them about issues that affect you, by phone, by letter or by email. You can also ask to meet and speak to them in person. Our elected councillors' details are here.
Register to vote
If you aren't registered, you won't be able to vote!
Where Do I Vote?