Skip to main content

Skin Piercing and Tattooing

If you wish to carry out acupuncture, tattooing, semi-permanent skin-colouring, cosmetic piercing and electrolysis in our area, you must first register with us.

Once you are registered by us to carry out one of more of these activities you can operate from any premises in the District that has also been registered by us to be used for the same purpose.

These regulations exist to ensure that you meet the relevant health and safety standards and lessen the risk of infection.

We register individuals and premises separately. This helps to reduce administrative burdens on businesses and their employees as it means that premises used for a regulated activity need only to be registered once for that purpose. It also means that individuals, once registered, do not need to register again if they move to work within different registered premises in the area.

Registered businesses are required to comply with adopted bye-laws for the purpose of securing the cleanliness of registered premises, of the fittings in those premises, and of persons registered and also the cleaning and sterilisation of instruments.

Please note:

  • Once a practitioner is registered with Bromsgrove District Council it is not possible to transfer the registration to a different Local Authority. If you intend to practice within the jurisdiction of another Local Authority, you must register with that authority too.
  • It is not possible to transfer a premises registration from one premises to another, even within the same local authority. If your business moves to another location, you will need to register the new location.

For further advice please contact

Applications to register

  1. Make the required payment via the Make an online payment page - choose 'Licensing Services' from the list on the right of the page, then  'Licensing', and then 'Acupuncture' from the drop down menus.
  2. Email completed Registration Application form and proof of payment to

NOTE: Please ensure that proof of payment is included with your application email or we can not process the application.

You can also send the form and payment to 'Bromsgrove District Council' by post to:

Licensing, Bromsgrove District Council, Parkside, Market Street, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, B61 8DA

You will need to include the current fee for registration, made payable to Bromsgrove District Council. The relevant fee can be found on our licensing fees and charges page.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please get in touch.

Feedback & Share