Skip to main content

Street Trading

Street trading is the selling of goods or food in any "street". The term 'street' includes any road, foot-way or other area to which the public have access without payment (this can include private land). Typical examples of street trading that goes on in the area include selling hot food from vans parked in lay-bys or on industrial estates and selling ice cream from a mobile van.

General policy information

We recognise that street trading can provide a useful service to people who live in or visit the District. Before you can trade in the street in our area you must get a street trading licence issued by us. If a person trades without a licence then they are committing an offence and can be fined up to £1,000.

We have adopted a policy on street trading, which gives guidance to applicants, officers and councillors on the principles that we will apply when deciding whether or not to grant a street trading licence to somebody. Further information on applying for a street trading licence can be found here:

Street Trading Policy

Street Trading Application Form

When you apply

Applications can be sent to:

Bromsgrove District Council, Parkside, Market Street, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, B61 8DA

Allow at least two weeks for us to make a decision on your application. You cannot trade without a permit.

You will also need to prove that you have £5 million public liability insurance, and you may also need to supply a risk assessment.

Revocation of permit

Street trading permits may be revoked for non compliance with conditions, non payment of the required fee, or if agencies such as Worcestershire Highways require access to your trading location.

Feedback & Share