Skip to main content

Planning Applications

What information do we collect?

In order to deal with planning queries we collect and hold applicable personal data which may include that listed below;

(Sometimes your information is provided by a third party such as a developer, an architect, quantity surveyor, or project lead)

  • Name, postal address, email address and contact number.
  • Plans, supporting documents and reports which could include evidence in the form of photographs and surveys. The name and qualifications of authors could appear on reports as well as business addresses.
  • Financial information and or personal information relating to the business or personal needs associated with a development.
  • Legal documents associated with a development.
  • Other associated information to support the application

Why do we collect this information?

The submission of a planning application requires certain information to be submitted. The Council collect personal information about you in order to process your planning application and provide general advice as part of the delivery of the service.

Under what legal basis is data processed?

The legal basis for this processing is a legal obligation.  This information is required under The Town & Country Planning Act 1990.  Other legislation may also apply, according to the type of application.  The following list is not exhaustive:

  • The Planning Act 2008
  • The Housing & Planning Act 2016
  • The Planning (Listed Building and Conservation Areas) Act 1990
  • The Highways Act 1980
  • The Environmental Act 1995
  • The Environmental Protection Act 1990
  • Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981
  • The Countryside & Rights of Way Act 2000

Who will be processing your data?

All data that is held of a personal nature is processed in accordance with data protection law. For the purpose of planning services the Data controller is Bromsgrove and Redditch Council’s.

Who do we share this information with?

This information will be shared by members of staff in Development Management and is also subject to public scrutiny via the internet, registers, paper files or microfiche.  This includes any comments made on the application by the public, Parish Councils or consultees. We endeavour to remove all signatures, personal email addresses and personal telephone numbers from electronic versions but these may still be present in historic paper files or microfiche.

The Council works with partner organisations with who we may share the data.  They include neighbouring Councils in the case of cross boundary cases, statutory bodies and consultees or consultants, other public bodies such as Courts and Tribunal Service, The Planning Inspectorate, Government Agencies and other external Auditors and regulators such as the local government ombudsman. 

There may be circumstances when we are required by law, or to safeguard public safety or where there is a risk of harm or emergency situation, in which we may have to share data without your consent. All information sharing will only use the minimum of information and will take place with the appropriate individuals only. This information will not be shared/sold to any other service/organisation unless we have a duty to do so under law.

Where cost recovery is sought and a fee is charged, this will be processed by the Finance Department.  If costs exceeded £500, the invoice number and supplier name/ID would appear on the Councils website here. If you object to having your data published in this way please contact  for further information.

How do we keep data?

Planning information is largely stored electronically. Some historical planning information is retained in paper or in Microfiche form.

How long will we keep this information for?

The data will be kept indefinitely.  Where a fee is charged, this will be retained for 6 years plus under the Limitations Act 1980.

Things that won’t happen

There will be no automated decisions made using your data.

Feedback & Share