Skip to main content

Apply for Universal Credit

If you are in supported accommodation, temporary accommodation or are of pensionable age, you will need to apply for Housing Benefit, otherwise, you will need to apply for Universal Credit (UC). You can check if you are eligible here

Free school meals are not part of your Universal Credit payment.
You need to make a separate application through Worcestershire County Council

Before you apply for Universal Credit

Before you apply, you will need access to the internet to apply and manage your claim.

If you are unable to access the internet please speak to a member of our customer services team to find out where free online access is available in your area.

You will also need:

Check if you are ready to claim UC and how to prepare at GOV.UK

You can also use the Step by Step UC Helper below to guide you through your UC application process. You can leave this guide and come back anytime and your progress will be saved. You can also ask for help at any point of the process using the "Help me" button.

Step by Step UC Helper

How to apply for Universal Credit

You will need to provide all the information below to apply for Universal Credit.

  • National Insurance number
  • Email address
  • Phone number
  • Your address
  • Your landlords address
  • Your tenancy agreement (if available)
  • The cost of your rent each month
  • Bank account details
  • Details of any income you get from work, tax credits and benefits
  • Details of any savings and any other income you get

This short video by Universal Credit in Action also explains in detail each step

Find more information on the Universal Credit in action you tube channel.

Claims can only be made through the GOV.UK website. If you and your partner live together you will need to apply as a couple.

Apply for Universal Credit

Alternative Payment Arrangements

Alternative Payment Arrangements (APA) are provided where appropriate through Universal Credit for those who are unable to manage a single monthly payment and they are at risk of financial harm. An APA can be considered at any point during the Universal Credit claim.

For more information about Alternative Payment Arrangements please see guidance from GOV.UK

Feedback & Share