Skip to main content

High hedge complaints

If a high hedge is affecting your ability to enjoy your property there are several steps you need to take before the local authority can offer any help.  The government guidance Over the Garden Hedge outlines what you need to do.

If we do become involved we cannot mediate or negotiate for you. Our role in high hedge disputes is simply to look at whether the hedge is adversely affecting enjoyment of your property.

If it is, a formal notice may be issued to the hedge owner setting out what they must do to the hedge to remedy the problem, and when they must do it by. If they don’t, they could face a fine of up to £1,000.

There is a charge if we become involved of between £200 and £550.

The national rules under which you can make a complaint are strict, and so we advise that you read the guidance provided.

Feedback & Share