Skip to main content

Party wall advice

Unlike planning or building regulations, The Party Wall Act is a civil matter between the owners of the land in question. It is not overseen, administered or enforced by us.

If you are excavating close to a neighbours wall or working on a shared wall you may need to gain your neighbours consent to do so under the law.

If you agree to carry out work which is approved by your neighbour under the Act, you do still need to ensure your work complies with planning requirements and building regulations. Works to party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings are subject to a specific piece of civil law, The Party Wall etc. Act 1996, as well as planning requirements and building regulations.

Advice and guidance on Party wall advice is available here from GOV.UK.

Feedback & Share